Chard w/stems (1)
Olive Oil again
Broth or Stock
Cheese, grated (2)
- Cut your ACORN SQUASH lengthwise in segments so you can peel
it, then cut into about 3/4 inch cubes.
- Tear up the leaves of the CHARD. Slice the stems at a
diagonal and fairly thin. Keep separate from leaves,
- Cut ONION in quarters lengthwise then slice thin.
- Grate Nutmeg, grind Pepper and mix both with
- Grate CHEESE medium.
- In a pot, bring water to a boil. Stir in the Chard Stems
for a few minutes, then the leaves until just wilted. Scoop out
(keeping hot water) and quench under cold running water.
- Put the Squash chunks in the hot water, simmer until just tender -
do not overcook. Drain, mix with the Chard.
- Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C.
- Heat 1 T of Olive Oil and fry Onions stirring until light
golden, Remove from pan and set aside, leaving as much oil behind as
- Add the other 1 T of Olive Oil in the pan. Heat over
moderate flame, then sprinkle in the flour, stirring constantly
until flour until cooked but not browned, to make a blonde
- Over moderate heat, slowly stir in cold Broth, stirring
constantly to work it into a smooth lump-free sauce.
- Lower heat, stir in Nutmeg mix and simmer very slowly for 5
minutes or so, then turn off heat.
- Oil a suitable gratin dish or casserole. Mix 1/3 (2 oz) of the
Cheese into the Squash / Chard mix, fill the gratin dish with
the mix, pour the Sauce over it evenly and sprinkle the
remainder of the cheese on top.
- Bake at 375°F/190°C for about 45 minutes or until it the
center begins to get bubbly. If the cheese isn't browned enough,
finish in the broiler for 3 minutes or so.