Tomatoes, small (1)
Chili, green (2)
Olive Oil, ExtV
Make - (20 min)
Serving - (5 min)
- Scald TOMATOES 1 minute in boiling water. Peel, and slice
3/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Drain them thoroughly (drink the juice with
a touch of salt).
- Cut the ONIONS in half lengthwise, trim the stem end, then
"feather" them. This means to slice as thin as possible crosswise at
a slight angle. I first take a few slices at a slight angle to the
face on one side. When the slices exceed half the width, I do the
same from the other side, then back. Slices should average half the
width of the onion half.
- Place Onions in a strainer and rinse thoroughly with
running water, squeezing them out a few times. Drain.
- Place Onions in a non-reactive bowl. Sprinkle liberally
with salt and tumble to distribute. Let soak for about 10 minutes,
then rinse and drain thoroughly.
- Pull CILANTRO leaves from stems and chop small. Cut
CHILI into very narrow strips, then cut the strips crosswise
into tiny dice. Mix.
Start when nearly ready to serve.
- Drain Tomatoes again if needed.
- In a large mixing bowl, in three alternating layers each, place
Onions, Tomatoes and Cilantro mix (to minimize
- Sprinkle with Olive Oil and Salt. Toss gently until
all is well distributed.
- Place in a serving bowl and serve cool, but not chilled.