Bitter Ale (3)
Stock, Beef (4)
-- Serve with
Pickled Beets (5)
Pickled Cabbage (5)
Prep - (40 min)
Run - (2-3/4 hrs)
- Trim the BEEF of excess fat and cut into pieces about 1-1/4
inch on a side. Same if using Lamb.
- Cut ONIONS into chunks about 1/2 inch on a side.
- Peel CARROTS and cut into pieces 3/4 to 1 inch long depending
on size. Peel RUTABAGA and cut into cubes about 3/4 inch
- Peel POTATOES and cut into about 1 inch cubes. Mix 1/2 the
Potatoes with the Carrots. Hold the other half in cold water until
- In a large heavy bottomed Dutch oven or similar (I use a 5-1/2 quart
multi-ply sauté pan, which is sufficient for up to 1-1/2
recipes), heat Oil. Stir in Beef and fry stirring until
the Beef is lightly browned on all sides. Season with Salt and
- Stir in the Onions. Fry, stirring often, until translucent.
- Stir in the Ale, bring to a boil until it is reduced by
- Stir in Bay Leaves, Thyme and Stock. Bring to
a boil, cover and turn to a simmer for 45 minutes.
- Stir in Carrot mix (which includes 1/2 the Potatoes). Bring
to a boil, cover and turn to a simmer for 45 minutes.
- Drain and stir in remaining Potatoes. Bring back to a simmer
and simmer another 30 minutes or until the meat is tender. If you have
too much liquid do this last bit uncovered over heat a bit higher,
keeping in mind there's less liquid than it looks like when it's
- Check Seasoning and adjust if needed. Possibly a little more salt.
- Serve hot, with Pickled Beets and/or Pickled Red
Cabbage on the side