Bell Pepper (5)
Chili, dry (4)
Soy Sauce, dark
Soy Sauce, light
Chili Bean Paste
Prep - (20 min)
Run - (40 min)
- Cut CHICKEN apart and chop into small serving pieces Chinese
way. See Note-5 for method, or
Note-1 for alternatives.
- Slice GINGER thin, break up CASSIA into large shards.
- Peel the GARLIC but leave the cloves whole.
- Cut BELL PEPPER into 1/2 inch wide strips about 1-1/2 inches
- Cut SCALLIONS into 1-1/2 inch lengths, using the green part
- Stem CHILIS if needed.
- Mix all Sauce items.
- In an iron wok, or better a kadhai (Indian wok), or in a deep
skillet (chicken fryer) heat 1 cup Oil to near smoking.
Working in three batches, fry Chicken Pieces stirring over
highest heat until they have completely lost their raw color.
Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside to drain.
- Return drained oil to the pan and bring it up very hot. Again
working in three batches fry the chicken parts but this time until
golden brown and cooked through. Again set aside to drain.
- Stir Garlic Cloves into the oil and fry stirring until just
starting to color. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Drain Oil from the pan, clean the pan and return it to the
stove with 3 T of Oil. Actually at this point I set the kadhai
aside on a spare ring stand to be dealt with later, continuing with
a large sauté pan.
- Heat Oil and stir in Ginger mix. Fry stirring for about
1 minute until fragrant, then stir in Chili Bean Paste and
fry stirring until well distributed in the oil. Stir in Chilis
and fry stirring until they just start to darken.
- Stir in Chicken and Garlic, then Sauce Mix.
Simmer uncovered over moderate heat, turning now and then, for about
15 minutes. You want it to reduce in that time to a thin sauce
consistency but watch that it doesn't get too dry.
- Stir in Bell Pepper, then Scallions for just a minute
to cook only slightly.
- Just before serving, drizzle the Sesame Oil