Fish, whole (1)
Sesame Oil, dark
Rice Wine (2)
Prep - (35 min - 15 min work (not counting
cleaning the fish))
Run - (15 min)
- Scale and clean FISH. Make shallow diagonal cuts on both sides,
just through the skin, three or four depending on fish shape and about
3/4 inch apart. Rub the Fish inside and out with SALT.
- Peel GINGER as needed and slice thin. Cut the slices into thin
slivers. Crush SCALLIONS moderately with your kitchen mallet
and cut into 1 inch lengths. Mix with Ginger.
- Stuff Fish with 1/2 the Ginger / Scallion mix. Set it
out on the dish it will be steamed in, which should be 3/4 inch to
1 inch deep.
- Sprinkle fish with SOY SAUCE, then SESAME OIL. Spread
the rest of the Ginger / Scallion mix over the fish. Let marinade
at room temperature for 20 minutes or in the refirgerator for 1 to 2
hours if you're working ahead.
- Sprinkle the RICE WINE around the fish and place the dish in the
steamer (Note-3). Make sure it's level so the sauce is
well distributed. Bring the water to a boil with the steamer open. This
limits the amount of water that condenses into the dish. Once it's
boiling, cover tightly and steam at a moderate boil for about 20
- Serve in the steaming dish with the sauce that has been produced
there, or serve on separate dishes and ladle sauce over. You can remove
the ginger and scallions if you wish, they are not eaten.