(click to enlarge)
Chicken Stewed with Olives
Spain - Pollo con Aceitunas
From the Spanish provinces of Andalucia, formerly Moorish Al-Andalus,
this chicken stew with olives is similar to a dish made across the
straits in Morocco. Of course, being Muslims, they can't flavor theirs
with brandy and wine.
Chicken meat (1)
Prep - (25 min)
Run - (1 hr)
- Cut CHICKEN into the size chunks appropriate for how you will be
serving it. 1-1/2 inch or so is usually good.
- Chop ONION small. Crush GARLIC and chop small. Mix.
- Scald TOMATOES 1 minute in boiling water. Quench in cold water,
peel and chop medium.
- Grind Fennel Seed. Mix with dried Thyme.
- Pit OLIVES and break into 3 or 4 pieces.
- Mix Sherry, Brandy and Stock.
- Heat Olive Oil in a spacious sauté pan and fry
Chicken, tumbling frequently until lightly browned on all sides.
Be very careful the fond that sticks to the pan doesn't burn, it
should remain reddish, not chocolate.
- Stir Onion Mix into the pan and fry stirring until onions are
translucent, just a couple of minutes.
- Stir in Tomatoes and fry stirring until they begin to
- Stir in Sherry mix. Deglaze the pan, scraping
up the fond and incorporating it into the sauce.
- Stir in Thyme mix, Salt and Pepper and
Olives Cover and simmer slowly for about 40 minutes or until
chicken is tender, turning now and then.
- Check salt and seasoning. Adjust liquid if needed and serve hot with
rice or potatoes.
- Chicken: Weight is skinless, boneless,
preferably thigh/leg meat. The pattern recipe called for whole joints
of a 4 pound chicken, but I do this with chunks for convenience of
portioning, especially when serving buffet style.
- Olives Weight is before pitting.
These should be cracked green olives cured with thyme and garlic.
Near Eastern cracked olives with shatta will also do - after all, this
recipe is from Al-Andalus, last stronghold of the Moors in Europe.
- Sherry: Use a moderately
sweet Sherry such as Amontillado, not too dry.
- U.S. measure: t=teaspoon,
T=Tablespoon, c=cup, qt=quart, oz=ounce,
#=pound, cl=clove, in=inch
dmc_chkolv1 141212 stc170 - www.clovegarden.com
©Andrew Grygus - email@example.com - linking to
and non-commercial use of this page permitted