Wheat Berries (1)
White Beans (2)
Bell Pepper grn
PREP - (10 hrs - 30 min work)
RUN - (1-1/2 hrs)
- Soak WHEAT BERRIES 8 hours minimum, preferably overnight,
with water to cover. Drain.
- Soak WHITE BEANS with 1/2 T Salt (yes, salt) and water to
cover, 8 hours or overnight.
- Simmer Beans in water to cover until just tender through,
then drain. They'll get at least another 20 minutes of cooking (see
- Cut PORK into chunks about 3/4 inch on a side.
- Chop ONION medium. Cut FENNEL lengthwise into to
thin slivers about 1-1/2 inches long. Hopefully you have some fronds
you can set aside to use as a garnish (many stores trim bulbs too
- Peel POTATOES (if used) and cut into about 1/2 inch dice.
Hold in cold water until needed.
- Using your propane torch, char the skin of the BELL PEPPER
(if used) black and brush it off under cold running water. Cut into
dice about 1/3 inch on a side.
- Cut MORCILlA and CHORIZO as desired. Perhaps split
in half or quarters depending on diameter and slice about 1/4 inch
- Drain Wheat and place in a pot of sufficient size for the
whole recipe. Stir in 8 c Water and the Pork. Bring
to a boil and skim off any foam that rises.
- Stir in Onion and Fennel. Simmer covered about
- Stir in cooked Beans, Morcilla mix, Salt
and Pepper. If using, stir in Potatoes and Bell
Pepper. Bring back to a boil and simmer covered 20 minutes
or until beans are tender (wheat berries will remain chewy).
- Serve hot, garnished with Fennel Fronds. Note: this
recipe reheats well, but will need a bit more boiled water
added as it tends to thicken.