Beef Chuck (1)
Wine Vinegar, red
Red Wine, dry (2)
Beef Broth (3)
Green Olives (4)
Black Olives (4)
Prep - (13+ hrs - 30 min work)
Run - (4 hrs)
- Trim BEEF as needed and cut into cubes about 1-3/4 inch on
- Peel CARROTS and slice thick, Chop ONIONS coarse.
Chop PARSLEY coarse.
- Mix all Marinade items and massage into beef. Package
in a non-reactive bowl or polyurethane bag. Stash in the fridge
for at least 6 hours. Turn now and then.
- Cut BACON into small dice.
- Lightly crush GARLIC.
- Pit Olives.
- Fish BEEF out of the marinade and drain well. Keep all
- In a spacious sauté pan or Dutch oven (see
Note-4), heat Olive Oil (Pure, not Virgin) and fry
Bacon until lightly crisp. Remove bacon crisps and set aside,
leaving the oil behind.
- Stir Beef into the hot oil and fry stirring until lightly
browned all over.
- Pour Marinade over the Beef, along with Wine,
Stock, Garlic and Salt. Bring to a boil,
cover tightly and simmer slowly until Beef is reasonably tender,
remembering it's going to get another 40 minutes or so. Time could
be as little as 1 hour or as much as 2 depending on size of pieces,
toughness of cut and length of marinade step. Make sure it does
not run low on liquid - the Beef should be nearly covered.
- Strain out the liquid, returning all the solids to the pan. Defat
the liquid using your gravy separator and return to the pan.
- Stir in Tomato Paste, Olives and reserved
Bacon Crisps. Bring back to a boil and simmer tightly covered
for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Serve hot with Pasta. The traditional pasta for this is
Macaronade, much like our small macaroni but much longer and gently
curved. For details see our
European Pasta and Noodles page.