Swiss Chard (1)
-- Onion mix
Olive Oil ExtV
Olive Oil ExtV
Prep - (45 min)
Run - (1 hr)
- Run a knife along the stems of the CHARD to remove the
green leaves. Run a vegetable peeler down the back side of each
stem to remove the threads, then cut into 2 inch lengths and those
lengthwise about 1/4 inch wide. Put immediately into cool water
acidulated with Citric Acid or Lemon Juice. Cut Chard Greens
into strips about 1/4 inch wide and 2 or 3 inches long.
- Scald TOMATOES 1 minute in boiling water, quench in cold
water, peel and dice about 3/8 inch. Set in a non-reactive strainer
- Cut ONIONS lengthwise into quarters and slice thin
- Crush GARLIC and chop fine.
- Dry roast CARAWAY SEEDS until very fragrant. Cool well and
- Chop CILANTRO coarse for garnish.
- In a tightly coverable pan (see Note-3),
heat Oil and stir in Onions, 1/3 t Salt and
3 T Water. Bring to a simmer, and simmer slowly over very
low heat for about 40 minutes, stirring now and then. The onions must
not dry out or brown at all.
- Meanwhile: In a sauce pan, bring 8 cups of Water
to a boil. Drain the Chard Stems and stir into the water.
Simmer covered for about 15 minutes - the chard should still have
some crunch. Take it off the heat and let cool in it's water.
- When the Onions are done, stir in the Chard Leaves
and fry stirring until the water the Chard exudes has almost all
evaporated, but it is not actually frying.
- Drain the Chard Stems.
- In a spacious sauté pan (3-1/2 qt) heat 4 T
Olive Oil. Stir in the Chard Stems and fry stirring
over moderately high heat until they are very lightly colored.
- Stir in Onion Mix, Tomatoes, Garlic,
Caraway, Salt and Pepper. Bring to a simmer
and simmer covered for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve hot, garnished with Cilantro Leaves.