Chili, red (3)
Make - (1-1/4 hrs - 30 min work + 2 days age)
- Pierce EGGS if desired (Note-1) and place
a roomy pan. One layer is best, but two will be OK. Fill with cold
water to about 3/4 inch over the eggs.
- Bring Eggs to a boil over high heat. Give them about 45
seconds, then turn off the heat. Let them sit for about 15 minutes.
- Peel the shells from Eggs. Important: peel
them hot. After 15 minutes, the temperature will still be around
190°F/88°C. If it gets cool enough so you can hold your
fingers in it, you will start to have trouble peeling them. Set a
strainer in the sink under cold running water. One by one, bring out
the eggs with your Egg Spoon,
quickly cool under cold water so you can handle them. Tap them on a
hard surface in several places, hard enough to crack the shell, but
not too hard. Peel off the shells, using the cold running water to
- Size your Pickle Liquid. Place peeled Eggs in the
sterile jar they will be pickled in. Pour in enough Pickling Liquid
to fill to the top. This should be Vinegar and Water
in a ratio of about 1 cup to 1/3 cup (75% vinegar - presuming
vinegar at 5% acidity).
- Pour Pickling Liquid into your pan. Add Spices mix
and bring to a boil. Simmer for a few minutes, then add the
Eggs and bring back to a boil (see Note-4).
- Using your egg spoon, place the hot Eggs into their jar,
then pour in the hot Pickling Liquid. Also see
- Screw on the lid, but not quite tight, any gasses produced need to
- You can start eating the eggs in 48 hours, if you can wait that
long. Made by this recipe, they will keep for at least a couple of
weeks at a cool room temperature - much longer in the fridge.