Chili, green (3)
-- Spicing mix
Chili, dry (4)
Curry Leaves (5)
|Prep - : (30 min)
Run - (45 min)
- Cut FISH into pieces about 1-1/2 inch on a side, larger if you
use carp (see Note-1). IF you will be frying the
fish (see Note-7), rub with Turmeric
and Salt. Set Aside.
- Peel POTATOES and cut into 3/4 inch cubes. Hold in cold water
- Peel ONION and slice into quarters lengthwise, then slice
- Scald TOMATOES 1 minute in boiling water, quench in cold
water, peel and chop medium.
- Split GREEN CHILIS from just under the cap to the tip.
Remove seeds and veins only if you wish to control heat.
- Slice GINGER very thin and chop fine. pound to a paste in a
- Cap DRY CHILIS and break in half, dumping out as many seeds as
will dump out. Grind along with Coriander and Cumin in
your spice grinder. Mix all Spicing mix items.
- Option, see Note-7 - heat 4 T Oil in a well
seasoned iron skillet and fry fish over moderate heat turning once
until lightly browned on both sides. Remove from the oil and drain
on paper towels.
- Measure 3 T of the Oil into a spacious sauté pan and
heat over moderate flame. Stir in Curry Leaves and Cumin
Seeds for about 30 seconds, then stir in Onions. Fry
stirring until onions are a light golden color.
- Stir Spicing Mix and fry stirring until blended in, then stir
in Tomatoes and fry stirring until their moisture has evaporated
and the oil has started to separate.
- Stir in Potatoes until well incorporated, then stir in
Water, bring to a boil, cover and simmer about 15 minutes.
- Stir in Fish and Green Chilis, bring back to
a boil and continue to simmer for another 8 minutes.
- Adjust liquid if needed and taste for salt. Serve garnished
with chopped Cilantro, along with plenty of steamed Jasmine