Olive Oil, ExtV
Make - (1-1/2 hrs - 35 min work)
- Cut OCTOPUS in large pieces (if large) so it fits the pan
well. Put it in a large saucepan with the Vinegar and enough
Water to cover well. Bring to a boil and simmer until
sufficiently tender (it'll still be a little chewy), but the skin
and sucker disks stay on. This is a bit tricky, so see
Note-2. Refresh under cold water when done.
- Meanwhile Dice TOMATOES about 3/8 inch, or a
bit larger for larger octopus pieces. Dice ONION fairly small.
Dice CHILI about 1/4 inch. Chop PARSLEY small. Mix
together all Salad Items.
- Squeeze Lemon Juice and mix together all Dressing
Items. Note that some people include a teaspoon or two of
Harissa in the dressing.
- Cut Octopus into attractive pieces for the salad. This will,
again, depend on size. For the baby octopi used for the photo example,
the sack was sliced across twice, and the tentacles separated. For
larger octopi, leave the tentacle tips fairly long and cut the rest
progressively shorter as it gets thicker. Mix into the Salad.
- Prepare Garnishes as desired (any or all, or whatever you
prefer). Olives can be whole or halved depending on size.
Radishes can be quartered or diced depending on size.
Lemon Wedges are optional (there's enough lemon in the
dressing for most people).
- When ready to serve, shake up Dressing and tumble with
the Salad. Arrange Lettuce Leaves in individual
bowls, spoon dressed Salad over and arrange garnishes.
For buffet service its better to tear up the leaves and incorporate
them into the salad, along with the radishes and halved olives.
- Serve cool, but not chilled - octopus needs to be nearly at room