-- Serve with
Prep - (1-1/4 hr - 45 min work)
Run - (1-3/4 hr)
- Cut LAMB into chunks about 1 inch on a side.
- Trim and de-string CARDOONS as described on our
Preferably do this ahead, drain well and refrigerate, as it'll
take about 45 minutes (25 iminutes work). Cut the stalks into
lengths of about 1-1/2 inch, and cut wide pieces in half
lengthwise. Once simmered they can be bagged in plastic and
refrigerated for a couple of days.
- Chop ONIONS coarse. Crush GARLIC and chop small.
- Chop PARSLEY fine.
- Squeeze LEMON JUICE.
- Drain Chickpeas (presuming canned).
- In a 3-1/2 quart sauté pan or heavy bottomed pot, heat
Ghee. Stir in Lamb and Onion mix and fry
stirring over moderate heat until Onions just start to color.
- Stir in Cinnamon, Salt and Pepper. Continue
frying over moderate heat for another few minutes, making sure the
fond sticking to the pan doesn't burn.
- Stir in 2-1/2 cups Water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer
slowly for about 1 hour or until lamb is close to tender.
- Stir in Chickpeas and Cardoons. Bring back to a
boil and simmer covered another 15 minutes or until lamb is tender
- Beat the Egg well, then beat in Lemon Juice,
followed by 2 T of Broth from the pot. Stir into the pot,
stirring vigorously until it is well distributed, then stir in
- Adjust sauce consistency - a little Water if too thick,
or, if too thin, keep at a fast simmer, uncovered, until it is
- Serve hot with Flatbread.