Chicken gizzards (1)
Hungarian Pepper (2)
-- Serve With
Prep - (35 min)
Run - (2 hr)
- Rinse GIZZARDS and cut into separate lobes or as desired.
- Rinse LIVERS and cut into fairly large chunks.
- Dice BACON about 1/4 inch.
- Scald TOMATOES 1 minute in boiling water, then quench in
cold water, peel and core. Cut in quarters lengthwise and slice
crosswise about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cap and core Pepper. Cut into strips about 1/2 inch wide and 1
inch long. Mix with Tomatoes.
- Chop ONION fine.
- Crush GARLIC and chop fine.
- Heat Lard in a spacious sauté pan and fry Onion,
stirring until translucent.
- Stir in Gizzards, Water, Paprika and
Salt. Cover and simmer over low heat for about 1-1/2 hours or
until Gizzards are tender to your liking. Tumble now and then and
check water, making sure they don't dry out.
- When Gizzards are about done, uncover and reduce liquid to a thin
- When Gizzards are done, in a skillet, fry Bacon until it has
rendered most of it's fat. Fry the Livers for just 2 or 3
minutes, then add both to the Gizzards, along with the bacon fat.
- Stir in the Tomato mix. Bring to a simmer, cover and simmer
for about 20 minutes until Pepper strips are tender, adding more water
- Serve hot with Galuska on the side.