Smoked Sausage (2)
Salt (if needed)
- Cut BACON into 1/4" pieces.
- Chop ONION fine.
- Quarter SAUSAGE lengthwise and slice thinnish (less than 1/4
- Put the Bacon in a pan and fry until some fat is rendered.
Stir in Onion and fry slowly, stirring often until translucent,
then add TARHONYA (1) and fry stirring until
light golden (don't burn the onions!). Sprinkle with Flour and
Paprika and fry stirring about 2 minutes more.
- Stir in Sauerkraut with its Brine and enough water to make a
thick soup (consider the tarhonya will be absorbing water). Simmer
until Tarhonya are nearly done (about 15 minutes if fresh, an hour for
- Stir Sausage into soup and continue simmering for 10 minutes.
Adjust liquid if needed.
- Stir about 1/4 cup of the soup gradually into the Sour Cream
until smooth, then stir the sour cream into the soup.
- Check Salt (probably not needed) and serve hot.