Spare Ribs (1)
-- Serve with
Sour Cream (3)
Make - (3 hrs - 45 min work)
- Separate individual RIBS and cut into shorter lengths if
needed for your chosen service style (see Serving
- Place Ribs in a pot with 8 cups Water. Bring to a
boil, skimming any scum that rises as it starts to boil.
- Stir in Salt, Peppercorns and Bay Leaf.
cover tightly and simmer about 1 hour (at least 1-3/4 hours for beef
- Meanwhile: Chop ONIONS small. Slice
GARLIC thin. Mix.
- Peel BEETS and dice about 3/4 inch on a side.
- Drain Sauerkraut but not too much. Do not squeeze out or
rinse. Chop very coarse (about 1-1/2 inches long) so it won't tangle
up into a big ball in the soup.
- Melt Butter and fry Onion mix until translucent but
not at all browned. Stir into Ribs.
- When Ribs have cooked their allotted time, stir in
Beets, Sauerkraut and Tomato Paste. Bring
back to a boil and simmer another 40 minutes or so.
- Remove the Ribs from the soup and process as required for
your chosen serving style (see Serving Options).
- Finish with Lemon Juice and Sugar. Check seasoning
and serve hot, garnished with parsley. Serve Sour Cream on the
side to be added by individual diners as they see fit. Do not
stir sour cream into the pot - it turns the soup a brilliant
fluorescent pink some find unappetizing.