Beef Stock (1)
Beef, cooked (2)
Mushrooms dry (3)
Celery & leaves
- Make the BEEF STOCK if you haven't already. Put it in an adequate
- Chill the COOKED BEEF so it cuts well and cut it into bite size
- Soak the MUSHROOMS in warm water for 1/2 hour or more. Squeeze
dry and cut into small pieces.
- Core and shred CABBAGE. Drain SAUERKRAUT but don't
squeeze dry. Make a couple cuts through it so strands aren't too long and
mix with Cabbage.
- In a 3 quart sauté pan or a wok heat 1-1/2 T butter and fry
Cabbage mix stirring over moderate heat until cabbage is
softened and coated with butter. Stir in TOMATO PASTE, then add all
to the stock pot. Bring to a boil and simmer while doing the following
- Chop ONION medium, cut CARROT into short matchsticks,
chop CELERY medium, dice TURNIP about 1/2 inch and mix
- In the pan used for the cabbage, heat 1-1/2 T butter and fry the
Onion mix and Mushrooms stirring until onions are lightly
colored. Add to the stock pot.
- Add DICED TOMATOES to the pot and season with SALT and
PEPPER to taste. Continue simmering for 20 minutes or so.
- Chop GARLIC small and add to the pot along with the
Cooked Beef and add water to get the degree of soupiness you
want. Bring to a boil and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Take off the heat and let the soup rest in a cool place for a few
hours or overnight.
- Bring back to a simmer and serve with SOUR CREAM on the side.