Chicken Meat (1)
Bamboo Shoots (2)
Thai Basil Leaf
Chili, Red (3)
Kaffir Lime Leaves (4)
Coconut Milk (5)
Red Curry Paste (6)
Fish Sauce (7)
Palm Sugar (8)
Prep - (25 min)
Run - (35 min)
- Slice CHICKEN about 3/8 inch thick and cut slices into
bite size strips or chunks.
- Slice BAMBOO SHOOTS about 1/8 inch thick and cut to a
size similar to the Chicken.
- Remove BASIL LEAVES from stems, and start them soaking in
cold water. This will help keep them green when added to the curry.
- Blast the CHILIS black with your propane torch and brush
off the skins under running water (see Note-9).
Seed them and cut into strips about 1/4 inch wide and 1 to 1-1/2
- Roll LIME LEAVES up (end to end) as tight as you can. Slice
these rolls into threads as fine as you can cut them. Discard the
central stem and make a few cuts through the threads to shorten
them. Mix with Chilis.
- Open COCONUT MILK without shaking. Scoop about 6
ounces off the top, including all the cream. Hold separate from
the rest of the Coconut Milk.
- In a sauté pan or wok, place the Coconut Cream part
of the Coconut milk. Bring to a boil (carefully), then stir in
Curry Paste until evenly distributed. Keep at a strong simmer
over moderate heat, stirring until red oil starts to separate.
- Stir in Chicken. Cook over moderate heat, stirring often
for about 5 minutes until you again see red oil starting to separate.
- Slowly stir in remaining Coconut Milk and Water.
Bring to a boil, then stir in Bamboo Shoots. Bring back to
a simmer and stir in Fish Sauce and Palm Sugar. Cover
and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Stir in Chili mix and simmer another 5 minutes. You can
hold it hot for awhile at this point.
- When ready to serve - take off heat. Drain Basil Leaves
and stir in well. Serve immediately with plenty of steamed Jasmine