Oil for deep fry
- Cut CHICKEN into largish bite size pieces. If
using whole chicken parts (legs, thighs, wings) chop each part in
half crosswise. A sharp Chinese cleaver knife driven by a soft faced
mallet is perfect for this.
- Chop ONIONS fine, chop GARLIC fine, mix.
- Make Besegnek: Slice GALANGAL as thin as you can,
pound it with your kitchen mallet and chop very small. Wrap
BELACAN in foil and roast it over a small flame (or however
you can) until it is aromatic or the first wisp of smoke is seen.
Grind together Spices. Pound together all Besegnek
items into a paste in a large stone mortar - or use a mini-prep
- Prepare TAMARIND as required.
- Grind CANDLENUTS fine.
- Heat Oil enough for deep fry over high flame in an kadhai, iron
chicken fryer or wok and fry Chicken until lightly browned. Scoop
out with a slotted spoon, drain and set aside. Do this in small batches
so the chicken browns before it drys out - it doesn't take any longer
- Heat 1-1/2 T Oil in a spacious sauté pan or wok and
gently fry Onion mix stirring until medium brown, being careful
not to burn at all.
- Stir in the Besegnek Mix and fry stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in Tamarind, Candlenuts and Palm Sugar, then
stir in the Coconut Milk and bring to a boil stirring
constantly. Cover and turn down to a simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in Soy Sauce and Salt, then Chicken.
Bring back to a simmer, cover and simmer for 3/4 hour, turning
occasionally, Watch that it doesn't get too dry.
- Serve with plenty of steamed Jasmine rice.