Malabar Spinach (1)
Fish Sauce (4)
Prep - (37 min - exclusive of peeling shrimp)
Run - (45 min)
- Wash MALABAR SPINACH. Discard stems over 1/4 inch diameter
and excessively damaged leaves. Cut remaining stems diagonally about
1 inch long. Cut leaves into strips about 1 x 1-1/2 inches.
- Slice PORK about 1/8 inch thick and cut into pieces about
1 inch on a side, or whatever works with your pork.
- Shell and de-vein SHRIMP if not already done. If large,
cut in half.
- Scald TOMATO 1 minute in boiling water. Quench in cold
water, peel and cut into 1/2 inch dice.
- Quarter ONION lengthwise and slice thin crosswise.
Crush GARLIC and chop small. Mix.
- Slice MUSHROOMS about 1/4 inch thick and cut as needed to
roughly match the size of the Pork.
- In a wok or spacious sauté pan, heat Oil over high
heat. Stir in Onion mix and fry stirring until Onion is
translucent, then stir in Tomatoes. Continue to fry stirring
for another 3 minutes.
- Stir in Pork and fry stirring until it has completely
lost its raw color.
- Stir in Water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
Cover and keep at a simmer until Pork is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in Fish Sauce, Salt and Mushrooms.
Continue to cook another 5 minutes stirring now and then.
- Stir in Shrimp and cook stirring now and then until the
Shrimp have turned color. Adjust liquid if needed, this recipe
should finish with some free liquid.
- Stir in Malabar Spinach, bring back to a boil. Cook,
tumbling often, until wilted and of uniform color, about 3 minutes.
Do not overcook.
- Serve hot with steamed Jasmine rice.