Bitter Melon (1)
Prep - (30 min)
Run - (30 min)
- Trim PORK of any excess fat and cut into 3/4 inch cubes.
- Peel ONION and chop medium, Crush GARLIC and chop
small. Slice GINGER very thin and chop very small. Mix.
- Scald TOMATOES 1 minute in boiling water, quench in cold
water, peel and chop coarse.
- Slice EGGPLANT into 1 inch thick rounds and cut the larger
rounds into bite size pieces. Immediately put in a bowl of water
acidulated with citric acid or lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Stem OKRA very close to the cap but leave whole. Tumble
with vinegar to coat and set aside, tumbling now and then. This
- Cut BITTER MELON in half lengthwise, remove seed mass and
slice shell a little less than 1/4 inch thick. Tumble with salt
and let sit until needed, tumbling now and then.
- Heat oil in a wok or large coverable sauté pan. Stir in
Onion mix and fry stirring until translucent, then stir in
Pork cubes and fry stirring until onions are golden.
- Stir in Tomatoes, Shrimp Paste and Water.
Bring up to a simmer, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Drain Eggplant and stir in. Rinse Okra and
Bitter Melon and stir in. Bring back to a simmer, cover
and simmer, turning a couple times, just until the eggplant is
cooked through, about 10 minutes - do not overcook.
- Taste for salt and serve hot accompanied by steamed Jasmine rice.