Kabocha Squash (1)
Bitter Melon (2)
Eggplant, thin (3)
Long Beans (4)
Prep - (55 min)
Run - (25 min)
- Peel an seed KABOCHA and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Stem OKRA very close to the cap but leave whole. Tumble
with vinegar to coat and set aside until needed, tumbling now and
then. This reduces splitting.
- Cut BITTER MELON in half lengthwise, remove seed mass and
slice shell a little less than 1/4 inch thick. Tumble with salt
and let sit until needed, tumbling now and then.
- Scald TOMATOES 1 minute in boiling water, quench in cold
water, peel and chop coarse.
- Quarter ONION lengthwise and slice crosswise about 1/4 inch
thick. Crush GARLIC. Slice GINGER very thin and chop
very small. Add all to Tomatoes.
- Slice EGGPLANT into 3/4 inch thick rounds and cut any larger
rounds in half. Immediately put in a bowl of water acidulated with
citric acid or lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Slice ZUCCHINI into 3/4 inch rounds if thin. If larger,
cut rounds in half. Cut Yellow Squash similarly. Add both
- Cut LONG BEANS 1-1/2 inches long. Add to Tomatoes.
- Rinse Bitter Melon and Okra. Drain Eggplant.
Tumble together all Vegetables items.
- In a stew pot or similar, spread Kabocha in the
- Mash Bagoong in 1 cup Water until there are no
lumps. Pour over the Kabocha.
- Layer Vegetable mix, over the Kabocha. Bring up to a boil,
then cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until vegetables
are just tender. Do not overcook. The vegetables should
still have some bite. Watch the Okra, if it threatens to be
overcooked, you're done.
- Serve hot accompanied by steamed Jasmine rice.