Yolks from Eggs
Hot Chili Sauce
Roasted Red Peppers (3)
Dill and Parsley are measured after chopping,
Pre-Prep - (1 hr - 15 min work)
All Stuffing items should be chopped quite fine so the go
through the pipe easily, but not to mush. I use a Mini-Prep
processor for the Onions and Mushrooms.
Stuffing - (55 min)
- Boil and peel EGGS - for the best method see our
Boiling Eggs page. Even
so, start some extras in case some have invisible cracks.
Toppings - (5 min)
- Cut cold Eggs in half lengthwise and pop out the yolks.
See our Egg Cutter
for the best cutting tool.
- IF using fresh Shiitakes, stem them and soak in hot
water for 30 minutes. Wring out. This greatly improves their texture.
- Chop MUSHROOMS very fine.
- Chop ONIONS very fine.
- Chop PARSLEY and DILL fine. Mix.
- In a spacious sauté pan, heat 3 T Butter. Fry the
Onions stirring over moderate heat until light golden.
- Stir in 3 T more Butter and the Mushrooms. Continue
to fry stirring until the Mushrooms are cooked through and tender.
- Mash together all Stuffing items until very evenly
Stuff, Garnish and Serve - (20 min)
- Beat together Mayonnaise and Sour Cream until
- Cut RED PEPPER into strips about 1/4 inch wide and 1 inch
- Pack Stuffing into a
Pastry Bag with a 1/2
inch round nozzle. Pipe stuffing into egg halves, domed a
bit higher than the tops of the Eggs.
- Top each Egg with the Mayonnaise mix.
- Garnish Eggs with a strip of Red Pepper.
- If you need to hold the finished eggs for awhile before serving,
even overnight, see Note-4.
- Serve cold or cool.