Beef Stock (1)
Beef, cooked (2)
Mushrooms dry (3)
Celery & leaves
-- Serve with
Do-Ahead - (a day ahead or more)
Prep - (40 min)
- Make the BEEF STOCK and COOKED BEEF (See
- Chill the COOKED BEEF so it cuts well.
- Soak the MUSHROOMS in warm water for 1/2 hour or more (if
Shiitake) or at least 4 hours (if Porcini). Overnight is not too
Run - (60 min + resting)
- Squeeze Mushrooms dry and cut into small pieces.
- Core and shred CABBAGE. Drain Sauerkraut but don't
squeeze dry. Make a couple cuts through it so strands aren't too long
and mix with Cabbage.
- Crush GARLIC and chop small.
- Chop ONION medium. Cut CARROT into short matchsticks.
Chop CELERY medium. Peel TURNIP and dice about 1/2 inch.
- Cut Beef into bite size pieces.
- Set out a 5 quart stock pot and pour in the Stock.
- In a 3 quart sauté pan or a wok heat 1-1/2 T butter and fry
Cabbage mix stirring over moderate heat until cabbage is
softened and coated with butter. Stir in Tomato Paste, then add
to the stock pot. Bring to a boil and simmer while doing the
- In the pan used for the cabbage, heat 1-1/2 T butter and fry the
Onion mix and Mushrooms, stirring over moderate heat
until onions are lightly colored. Add to the stock pot.
- Add DICED TOMATOES to the pot and season with Salt and
Pepper to taste. Continue simmering for 20 minutes or so.
- Stir in Cooked Beef and Garlic. Add water if needed
to get the degree of soupiness you want. Bring to a boil and simmer
another 5 minutes.
- Take off the heat and let the soup rest in a cool place for a few
hours or overnight.
- Bring back to a simmer and serve with Sour Cream on the side.