Smelts headless (1)
Prep (45 min)
See Photo Gallery for details.
Run (20 min)
- Head and gut SMELTS (if not already done).
- Dry Smelts on paper towels if needed. Keep them and the working
surfaces as dry as you can as you work.
- With a razor sharp filet or boning knife make a cut on the belly side
from front to tail and through to the backbone.
- Flatten Smelts by running your thumbnails down both sides of
the backbone from front to tail to strip the flesh from it - then slip
your knife under the backbone just forward of the tail and strip it out
with a single stroke. Bend it away and cut it off at the tail.
- Pull feathery fronds of DILL from the stems and chop small.
- Lay a Smelt skin side down and distribute a moderate amount of
dill all along the center. Place a similar size fillet over it, skin
side up, to make a sandwich. Repeat.
- Mix Rye Flour, Salt and Pepper. Pour onto a
- Beat EGG lightly and pour into a deep plate.
- Using one hand for the eggs and the other for the flour, dip each
Sandwich into the Egg, shake off excess and drag both sides
in Flour, again shaking off excess.
- Heat Oil in a well seasoned skillet (use a little more if
the skillet is very large) and fry Smelts on both sides over
moderate until medium brown. Drain on paper towels and keep warm (if
- Serve warm or room temperature with a vinegar dip.