Chili Arbol (2)
Oil, pure olive
Prep - (2 hrs - 15 min work)
While Pork Cooks - (30 min)
- Cut PORK into pieces about 1 x 3/4 x 1/2 inch, or whatever
size you prefer.
- Cut ONION into several chunks, crush Garlic medium
and put both into a pot with 5 cups Water and the Pork.
Bring to a boil and simmer until pork is tender but still holds together
well enough to fry (1-1/2 to 2 hrs).
When Pork is Done - (1-1/4 hrs)
- Pull husks from the TOMATILLOS and place them in a second pot
with the Chilis and enough Water to cover well. Bring to
a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Fish out the Tomatillos and Chilis Transfer to a food
processor along with 2 oz ONION and 1 cl GARLIC. Process
to a smooth purée and set aside.
- Chop PURSLANE coarse, including stems. Bring Water
back to a boil, stir in Purslane and simmer until stems are
tender (about 4 minutes). Drain
- Remove Pork from its broth with a slotted spoon and drain
- Strain the Broth and reserve.
- Heat Oil in a spacious sauté pan. Stir in Pork
and fry stirring until lightly browned all over. It is cooked so
this will be quite quick.
- Stir in Tomatillo purée and fry stirring until
- Stir in Purslane, Salt and enough Broth to get
to the stew consistency you desire. This will be quite a bit because
the purslane acts as a thickener and with rice or tortillas you will
want it fairly liquid. Cover and simmer until pork is starting to
fall apart, another 30 to 45 minutes.
- Check salt to taste and serve hot with corn tortillas or rice.