Tomatoes, ripe (2)
Olive Oil, ExtV (3)
Prep - (20 min)
Run - (40 min)
- Cut off ASPARAGUS tips (about 2 inches) and cut tender
parts of stems into segments about 2 inches long. Do not discard
the tough ends, but keep ends, stems and tips separate. You want
to end up with a combined weight of tips and stems of 12 to 14
- Scald TOMATOES 1 minute in boiling water, chill in cold
water and peel. Dice about 3/4 inch on a side.
- Grate CHEESE for garnish, if using.
- Bring your salted pasta water up to a boil. Stir in the
Tough Asparagus Ends, bring back to a boil for about 20
minutes. Scoop out and discard the Asparagus ends - keep the
- You can put your Pasta into the boiling water at this
- In a sauté pan, heat Olive Oil. Stir in
Asparagus Stems and fry stirring for about 4 minutes. Stir in
Asparagus Tips and fry stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the Tomatoes along with Salt and
Pepper. Bring to a boil and keep covered for two minutes to
get the tomatoes hot, then uncover and keep at at a light boil for
another 8 minutes, stirring gently now and then. This will reduce the
amount of liquid released by the tomatoes. Keep warm.
- When Pasta is al dente, drain. Return it to the
(now empty) pot and stir in a tiny bit of Olive Oil to keep it
from sticking. You could also do this "Italian style" by simply
mixing in the Sauce. This is one of the few pasta recipes I
like to serve "Italian style".
- Serve immediately with Grated Cheese on the side - or not,
as you wish.