Beef Cheeks (1)
Salt, Kosher (2)
Olive Oil, ExtV
Red Wine, dry (3)
Prep - (25 min)
Run - (4 Hours)
- Trim BEEF CHEEKS as needed (weight given is after
- Chop ONIONS small. Dice TURNIP into 1/2 inch cubes.
Chop CELERY small. Chop CARROT small. Mix all.
- Chop TOMATOES medium and return to their Juice.
- Pat Beef Cheeks dry with paper towels. Rub them
lightly with salt and pepper.
- In heavy skillet heat 2 T Olive Oil and fry Beef
Cheeks in batches until lightly browned on both sides. Transfer
to a heavy bottomed non-reactive pot or Dutch oven that will hold at
least 4 quarts.
- After all the Beef Cheeks are done, pour remaining oil out of the
skillet. Replace with 2 T ExtV Olive Oil and fry
Onion mix until onions are translucent. Pour vegetables and
oil into the pot with the Beef Cheeks.
- Pour 1/2 cup Wine into the skillet and bring to a simmer.
Scrape up any fond adhering to the pan and pour into the pot along
with the rest of the Wine, the Tomatoes (including
juice) and Star Anise.
- Bring pot to a boil, then cover tightly and simmer very slowly
for about 3-1/4 hours or until Beef Cheeks are tender.
- Fish out the Beef Cheeks and set aside.
- Strain the liquid through a fine strainer. Discard the solids.
- Defat the sauce using your gravy separator, then simmer it down
to the amount you will need. If you feel the need, you can thicken
the sauce a little with a blonde roux (the sauce in the photo was
thickened for better behavior during photography). Keep hot.
- Cut Beef Cheeks as desired. Reheat and serve hot with