Lamb Necks (1)
Red Pepper flake
Orange Peel (2)
Chocolate dark (3)
Red Wine, dry
can Diced Tomatoes
-- Serve with
- Trim LAMB NECKS of excess fat. In a 5 quart Dutch oven or similar
heavy pot (see Note-6) heat Olive Oil and
Butter. Over very moderate heat fry lamb necks, turning frequently,
until nicely browned all over.
- Chop ONION and CELERY coarse. Cut CARROTS into
rounds, half rounds or quarter rounds (depending on size) between 1/8 and
1/4 inch thick. Quarter FENNEL BULB lengthwise leaving the root
end on to hold it together. Mix all.
- Grind Fennel Seeds, Pepper and Cinnamon. Crush
Orange Peel. Mix all with Red Pepper Flakes.
- Toast ALMONDS, cool thoroughly and grind to a fine powder along
- When the Lamb Necks are thoroughly browned, add Stock and
Red Wine. Bring to a boil and skim off any scum that rises.
- Stir in Fennel Seed mix, Diced Tomatoes (including
juice) and Bay Leaves. Simmer covered for 1-1/4 hour.
- Stir in Vegetable mix, bring back to a boil and simmer
another 3/4 hour.
- Fish out Bay Leaves and Fennel Bulb. Discard.
- Fish out Lamb Necks and remove meat from the bones. Tear meat
into pieces and add back to the pot. Discard bones.
- Skim all fat from the stew. (See Note-5).
- Stir in Almond mix. Bring back to a boil and simmer for a few
minutes stirring occasionally. Taste for Salt and adjust if
- Bring plenty of salted water to a boil and cook PASTA the usual
way. Drain and stir in a little Olive Oil to keep it from sticking
- When ready to serve. add Pasta only to the amount of stew you
intend to serve right away. Alternatively, you can spoon some pasta into
individual bowls and then ladle stew over.
- Serve hot, garnished with Parsley Leaves and accompanied with
grated Romano Cheese.