- Peel NAGAIMO and grate on the fine shredder side of your
grater. You will now have a disgusting slimy glob of goop, but do not
fear, it will cook fine.
- Grind Shrimp to powder in a mortar or your spice grinder.
Massage it into the Nagaimo along with Salt (or
have a kid do it, they love playing in slime).
- Chop Scallions for garnish.
- Bring Lard up hot in a large skillet. Put 1-1/2 oz spoonfuls
of Nagaimo into the pan and fry over medium high heat until
golden brown on the bottom. Meanwhile cut pieces of Sliced Bacon
and press them gently onto the top side of the pancakes.
- When pancakes are nicely golden brown on the bottom and hold their
shape when moved around use a thin turner to flip them over bacon side
down. Continue frying until the bacon side is golden brown also.
- Turn pancakes out onto paper towels and pat the top with a towel to
absorb oil, but don't let them linger on the towel, they'll stick.
They can be set on a plate or platter bacon side up in a low oven until
- Serve garnished with a sprinkle of chopped Scallions
- Lard: Yes, lard. My attempt to fry these in
olive oil was a total disaster, they stuck fast to the pan and couldn't
be pried loose. The pan had to be scraped and washed. I tried lard and
they didn't even think about sticking.
- U.S. measure: t=teaspoon,
T=Tablespoon, c=cup, qt=quart, oz=ounce,
#=pound, cl=clove in=inch