Beef, Lean (1)
Beef Tripe (opt)
Lemon Grass (2)
Kafir Lime Leaves (3)
Galangal Root (4)
Rau Ram (5)
Thai Chilis (6)
Chili Flake (7)
Toasted Rice (8)
Fish Sauce (9)
-- Garnish Options
Red Chili Slices
Prep Meats - (Do Ahead)
Make - (2 hours - 1-3/4 hours work)
- Grill or Broil the BEEF until medium to medium well done -
140°F to 150°F (60°C to 65°C). Set aside to rest
- IF using, cook BEEF TRIPE until tender. For instructions
see our Beef Tripe
- Cut Beef across the grain into thin slices, then the slices
into narrow strips and the strips crosswise into small dice. Then,
with a heavy knife, chop the beef very fine.
- IF using, slice Tripe thin and cut into 1/4 inch lengths.
- Strip the tough outer leaves from LEMON GRASS and cut off the
hard root end. Smash the bottom 4 inches of the stem with your
kitchen mallet, then cut crosswise as thin as you possibly can with a
razor sharp knife.
- Roll up the LIME LEAVES tightly from tip to base. Slice them
into threads from both sides of the central rib. Chop the threads
fine. Mix with Lemon Grass.
- Slice GALANGAL as thin as you can and chop fine. Mix with
- Pound Lemon Grass mix in a big mortar as best you can.
- Pull MINT, CILANTRO and RAU RAM leaves from
the stems and chop them coarse to medium Chop SCALLION very
small. Cut THAI CHILIS in half lengthwise and slice crosswise
very thin. Mix all.
- Squeeze Lime Juice.
- Mix together all Dressing items.
- Massage the Dressing into the Beef and Tripe
(if using). Check seasoning to your taste. Refrigerate until needed.
It should have some rest before serving to adjust textures.
- Chop Mint and Cilantro for garnish (required), and
prepare any optional garnishes you please to use.
- Garnish as desired and serve. It's best served cool rather than
chilled, so give it a little warm up time from the fridge.