Taro Leaves (1)
Pork Belly or (2)
Thai Chili (3)
cans Coconut Milk
Prep - (40 min)
Run - (1-1/4 hrs)
- Cut stems from TARO LEAVES and cut into small strips
(see Cutting). If using dry, soak them for
a while so you can chop them easily.
- Dice PORK BELLY about 3/4 inch on a side, including the
- Slice GINGER thin crosswise, and cut the slices into
narrow matchsticks. Peel GARLIC and crush. Mix.
- Quarter ONION lengthwise and slice thin crosswise. Slice
CHILES fairly thin crosswise. Mix.
- IF using dried Taro Leaves, skim most of the Cream off
the top of the cans of Coconut Milk. Reserve it and add near the
end of cooking.
- In a wok, heat Oil and fry Pork stirring until all
raw color is gone.
- Stir in Ginger mix and fry stirring about 2 minutes.
- Stir in Onion mix and fry stirring until Onions and
Pork start to color.
- Stir in Taro Leaves and 1/2 cup Water. tumble until
they are fairly wilted.
- Stir in Coconut Milk and bring to a boil. Stir in
Bagoong. Cover and simmer slowly for about 1 hr, stirring the
Taro Leaves down under the Coconut Milk frequently. IF you
have reserved the Coconut Cream, pour it in when the recipe has
15 minutes to go.
- Adjust liquid if needed. Serve with steamed Jasmine rice. Note:
this recipe is even better rested overnight and reheated.