Meat, ground (2)
Rice, long grain
Prep - (20 min)
Run - (1-1/4 hr)
- See which way your melon sits comfortably and slice off the top just
deep enough so you can remove the seed mass. Scrape it out down to fairly
firm flesh. Keep the top.
- Trim MEAT of any excess fat and grind (UK mince) or chop very
fine (US mince).
- Chop ONION small.
- Mix all Stuffing items.
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- In a spacious coverable sauté pan, heat Oil and
fry Meat and Onions, stirring until onions are
translucent and meat is lightly browned.
- Stir in Stuffing mix. Bring to a boil, then cover and
simmer very slowly until rice has absorbed all the water and is
nearly done. Stir once or twice.
- Stuff the Melon. Set the top on and fasten with tooth picks.
- Set Melon in a suitable well oiled pan and bake at
350°F/180°C for about 1 hour (for a 5 pound melon), a bit
more if the stuffed melon was refrigerated, a bit less for a smaller
- Hoist Melon out of the pan and serve. This can be done
several ways. The entire melon (less top) can be presented at the
table and a sharp edged serving spoon used to scoop out stuffing and
melon as needed, or individual portions of stuffing and melon can
be set up in the kitchen, with melon chunks mixed into the stuffing
or on the side.