Prep - (35 min)
RUN - (1-1/8 hr)
- Prepare SQUID and cut into pieces about 1 inch square if large
squid, larger pieces if small squid (they'll roll up). For complete
instructions see my page
Cleaning, Cutting & Cooking
Large Squid and Note-1 below.
- Cut PORK into 1 inch cubes.
- Crush, slice and chop GARLIC small.
- Quarter ONION lengthwise and slice medium crosswise.
- Scald TOMATO 1 minute in boiling water, quench in cold water,
peel and cut into medium dice.
- Mix all Sauce items.
- Put Pork in a saucepan and add Water to just cover.
Bring to a boil, then simmer slowly for 15 minutes. Drain and rinse
pork, then dry as completely as practical.
- In a coverable sauté pan heat Lard or Oil and
fry Pork cubes stirring until browned on all sides. This will
take only about 5 minutes. Remove pork leaving lard or oil in the pan.
- In the remaining oil fry Garlic until the first hint of color,
then stir in Onions. Fry stirring until onions are translucent,
being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Stir in Tomatoes and fry stirring until well softened, then
stir Pork back in and fry stirring about 3 minutes more.
- Stir in Sauce mix, cover and simmer slowly for about 30
minutes until pork is becoming tender.
- Check liquid, add water as needed. There should be enough liquid to
cook the squid quickly and to make a nice sauce.
- When ready to serve, not before, turn up the heat so the liquid is
boiling and stir in Squid. Cook stirring for less than 2 minutes
(large squid) or about 30 seconds (small squid). Take it off the heat
and serve with plenty of Jasmine rice.